Did you know that there’s currently no direct way to discover who you know on Twitter via LinkedIn contacts (or vice-versa)? Back in the day the two platforms had a relatively happy marriage, integrating their services to allow members to share content and connect across both networks, but as they grew in size and business objectives changed with a keener eye on advertising revenue, the social media giants strayed further and further apart. Eventually an “amicable split” was announced in 2012.
While LinkedIn updates can still easily be pushed out to Twitter, LinkedIn no longer displays tweets or allows simple contact syncing. On one hand, it may actually have been a good thing as our LinkedIn newsfeeds avoid an onslaught of irrelevant tweets, but it did make it more difficult to find mutual contacts on both platforms.
Luckily, there’s still a relatively simple way to use Gmail, Outlook or any of the other large email clients as a mediator to bridge the two social networks and find Twitter users who you may already be connected with on LinkedIn. It takes a bit of work, but it’s worth it if you’re looking to expand your network!
To Find Your LinkedIn Contacts on Twitter:
- Log in to LinkedIn. Under the Network tab, click Contacts.
- Click the Settings gear in the top right.
- On the right side of the page under Advanced Settings, select Export LinkedIn Connections. Export the file as a CSV and save the file.
- Open the file in Excel. You’ll probably get a prompt with the Text Import Wizard. Chose “Delimited,” click next, and then set the delimiters to be separated by commas. Click Finish and your contacts will be neatly arranged in columns. Resave the file once again as a CSV.
- Import your Excel file of contacts to your email provider. This varies by email provider, but typically it’s a simple process of just uploading the Excel file under your Contacts.
- Using Twitter’s Find Friends tool you can directly sync your email account to discover which LinkedIn connections are already on Twitter.
Voila! You’ve probably now discovered a whole new group that you never realized were on Twitter!
While you’re at it feel free to connect with members of your local Talener office on social media by checking your nearby office’s page on our website and hovering over our team members. You’ll find quick links our members’ respective social media pages to stay in the loop on new job openings and other updates from the Talener team. Happy networking!